Start with One
The Masters Swimming Canada 1km Challenge
For many of our members, the 1km Challenge is a great place to start. The goal is to complete a continuous 1km pool swim using any stroke, pull or kick. And while the concept is simple, the benefits of taking on the challenge are anything but. It can help you to:
- Measure and improve your fitness
- Set goals for training
- Get valuable feedback on your stroke efficiency
- Focus your training season or check progress over the year
- See how you and your club stack up against other swimmers across the country
You can take the 1km Challenge with other members from your club or on your own. The flexible guidelines and achievable distance make it accessible to swimmers of all levels. And, if you're interested in Masters Swimming competition but aren't sure if it's for you, this challenge can give you a taste for what it might be like. So why not get involved and Start with One?
Taking part in the 1km Challenge at your club
Your local club rep can give you details on the 1km Challenge taking place at your club, but here is the basic information:
- All athletes must be registered with Masters Swimming Canada
- Age groups for results (age at December 31 in the year the event takes place):
18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 100-104, etc.
Results are also listed by Province and by club.
- The pool must be 25 or 50 metres for official results
- Swimmers can choose Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle, Individual Medley (250m each Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle), Pull, Kick or Kick with fins
- For official results, submit 100m splits and the final time. These can be submitted via Splash or Hy-tek (email) or you can input them directly
- For unofficial results (if you perform the challenge on your own, rather than as an event), simply submit your final result to MSC Results form
Awards and Recognition
Everyone who completes the 1km Challenge - and registers their results - will receive a certificate.
||30:00 - 45:59
||16:00 - 29:59
||15:59 or faster
Platinum swimmers can also have their pictures posted online.
Show all entries | Show entries for this season
Order by age group | Order by time
Show non-cumulative splits